Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I think pink is my new favorite color :-)

WOW. What. A. Day!!

If you've been paying ANY attention, you've noticed that today was kind of a big deal. Today might have been the single most important day in my short life so far. Ok, well, getting BORNED was clearly important...but this one's a close second ;-)

So I'm fixed!! I spent about 5 hours in the OR, 2 of which were on a bypass machine, while the doctors unhooked some stuff, moved some stuff, and replaced some stuff. A summary for those who need it:

-my aorta was moved, along with the heart's blood supply (the coronary arteries) so it came off the left side (where it SHOULD have anyway!!)

-they made me a new pulmonary artery and vein to replace the crappy one that I had

-they fixed the big hole so that my blood stays on the side of the heart where it should

The end result is a nice healthy pink baby:

See that 99? That's my oxygen level!! No more 70s for this girl! Nice pink lips and fingers...

Now, don't get me wrong...this hasn't been a walk in the park. This was a MAJOR surgery, as you can probably tell, so there's a lot of postoperative stuff to deal with. Right now I'm still on a breathing machine (hey, typing doesn't need me to be able to talk!) and they've got me completely sedated and paralyzed (ok, you got me...Dad's writing this...) so I can't pull at all the lines and tubes that are coming out of me...and are there some lines and tubes!

Yep, that's all for my benefit...

Right now things are good. Dad's gonna stay with me tonight and maybe tomorrow, and I'll be a good little sedated and paralyzed girl for him. It's when they decide to wake me up and take out the breathing tube that the fun really begins...I am gonna be an UNHAPPY CAMPER!! Mom might pull that shift ;-)

We hope I'll be out of the ICU this weekend and maybe out of the hospital next weekend? It could be longer, we'll just have to see.

As you know by now...I'll keep you informed! Thank you all for your support through this...your thoughts, kind words, prayers, and good vibes you've been sending my way. It means more than you know :-)



1 comment:

  1. Natalie, it's so great to hear that your surgery went well!! Hope your post-surgery goes well, too!! Lots of hugs and love. =)

    ReplyDelete